Our Academic Approach
The academic curriculum model at SIG combines enrichment and acceleration. We offer open-ended and flexible courses in multidisciplinary fields that encourage students to explore interests and passions, as well as engage in concepts they may not encounter in core school curriculum at their age level.
At SIG, students:
- engage in real and authentic content.
- employ their skills, interests, and learning styles.
- expand the ways they think and approach challenges.
- gain tools for lifelong learning.
One advantage of offering a summer learning environment is the flexibility of structure that may not be available in traditional educational environments. This flexibility unleashes the abilities, ideas, and thinking of fertile minds and encourages students to enhance, discover, and pursue their talents and passions.
We value each student’s unique learning preferences. We encourage self-directed learning and self-assessment while at SIG, through course activities and personal objectives.
Social and Emotional Well-Being
We believe that students’ emotional happiness is paramount to their overall self-fulfillment and is as important in our programs as the academic component.
- provide student activities to enhance social interaction, acceptance, and fun.
- develop long-lasting friendships.
We use problem-based learning to challenge the student through course content, processes, and products within a learning environment that is flexible and open-ended. Our courses encourage students to:
- think critically, creatively, and complexly.
- apply new knowledge to real problems.
- do what professionals do in their fields of study.
- learn to self-assess their work.
- become intrigued and delve deeply into topics that matter to them!
Academic Performance and Student Evaluation
Parents will receive a Student Performance Review (SPR) within a month after completion of the SIG program. The SPR is a personalized assessment describing your child’s performance in the program and detailing their accomplishments. SPRs take you inside your child’s experience at SIG, providing customized feedback on their learning experiences in the program – while also offering recommendations for further development. SPRs can be sent to schools upon request.